Cloud Zoom small image
My Cart

Antique English Engraving Hamilton Greek Vase Painting England circa 1840

A beautifully framed engraving of Greek vase painting by Sir William Hamilton from England circa 1840. Sir William Hamilton was the British ambassador to Naples from 1764 to 1800 during the city's golden age. An avid antiquarian, Hamilton assembled one of the world's finest collections of Greek and Roman antiquities. In addition to his duties as ambassador, Hamilton was also renowned as a knowledgeable guide and congenial host to the visiting English 'Grand Tourists'. With infectious enthusiasm he would extol the wonders of Naples and the beauties of arts of the ancient world, inspiring in many of his aristocratic visitors a genuine love of the antique. This new-found enthusiasm found its expression in the new style of neo-classicism and in the collections of antiquities which found their way to many of the stately homes of England. This engraving was originally framed by the firm of Stephanie Hoppen in London and her label remains on the reverse side.

# EEJ363B

DIMENSIONS

24.50" w x 1.00" d x 16.75" h

62.23cm w x 2.54cm d x 42.55cm h

Sale Price $876.40 Regular Price $1,252.00

A beautifully framed engraving of Greek vase painting by Sir William Hamilton from England c.1840. Sir William Hamilton was the British ambassador to Naples from 1764 to 1800, during the city's golden age. An avid antiquarian, Hamilton assembled one of the world's finest collections of Greek and Roman antiquities. In addition to his duties as ambassador, Hamilton was also renowned as a knowledgeable guide and congenial host to the visiting English 'Grand Tourists'. With infectious enthusiasm he would extol the wonders of Naples and the beauties of arts of the ancient world, inspiring in many of his aristocratic visitors a genuine love of the antique. This new-found enthusiasm found its expression in the new style of neo-classicism and in the collections of antiquities which found their way to many of the stately homes of England. This engraving was originally framed by the firm of Stephanie Hoppen in London and her label remains on the reverse side.